Best PPSSPP Strategy Games for Android
The PSP had some excellent strategy games that work great on Android devices using the PPSSPP emulator. From turn-based tactical games to real time strategy, here are some of the best strategy titles to play on your phone or tablet.
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Tactics Ogre is a tactical RPG originally created by Quest. This PSP version features updated visuals, cutscenes, and tweaks to provide the definitive version of the game.
- Deep turn based tactical combat with an isometric view.
- Class and skill system allows customization of your squad.
- Branching story with choices that alter the outcome.
- 50+ hour campaign with tons of content.
- Recruit over 500 units to build your squad.
- Runs smoothly in PPSSPP at high resolution.
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
This is another legendary tactical RPG that gets an impressive PSP makeover. New cutscenes, dialogue, and an improved translation make this the definitive version.
Why it’s great:
- Deep job system allows customization of your squad.
- Epic story spanning 50+ hours.
- Challenging and addictive turn based battles on 3D grids.
- New cutscenes add more backstory and context.
- Smooth performance in PPSSPP at high resolution.
Final Fantasy Tactics still holds up incredibly well today thanks to its complex battle system and engrossing storyline about war and betrayal.
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
With a bizarre underworld setting, Disgaea combines strategy RPG combat with quirky humor and endless depth. This PSP port adds new content.
What makes it fun:
- Humorous story with eccentric demon characters.
- Super in-depth combat with tons of customization.
- Levels up to 9999, reincarnation, and the item world.
- Classes like the monster mounting Prinnies.
- Runs great on Android at 3x resolution in PPSSPP.
Disgaea is the perfect mix of strategic gameplay and absurd Japanese humor. This version introduced many new fans to the series.
This tactical RPG exclusive to PSP is set in an alternate medieval France. It features a compelling story around Joan of Arc and the French-English war.
Why it shines:
- One of the best looking 3D strategy games on PSP.
- Deep tactical gameplay fused with real time elements.
- Female heroine provides an interesting perspective.
- Epic storyline adapted from historical fiction.
- Smooth performance and upscaled graphics via PPSSPP.
Jeanne d’Arc is regarded as one of the best original strategy RPGs on PSP. It still holds up beautifully today with great gameplay and storytelling.
Valkyria Chronicles 2
Valkyria Chronicles made its mark by blending real time strategy elements with turn based tactical combat and a watercolor aesthetic. This sequel expands the formula on PSP.
- Unique blend of real time strategy, RPG, and 3rd person shooting.
- Watercolor canvas graphics style looks fantastic upscaled.
- 30+ hour campaign with tons of content.
- Deep customization and upgrades for your soldiers and tanks.
- Addictive skirmish and multiplayer modes.
Valkyria Chronicles 2 is regarded by many as the best entry in the series. It’s an excellent portable strategy experience that runs well in PPSSPP.
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid offers a radically different take on the stealth action series – a turn based strategy card battle game. It sports gorgeous cel shaded visuals.
Why it’s interesting:
- Radical genre shift into a turn based card strategy game.
- Great storytelling and cutscenes expected of Metal Gear.
- Striking cel shaded visual style.
- Deep card battle system with 177 cards to collect.
- Sequel Metal Gear Acid 2 is also on PSP.
Metal Gear Acid is one of the most unique games in the storied stealth series. It holds up as an engrossing tactical card game.
XCOM Enemy Within
This faithful port of the PC/console strategy hit XCOM: Enemy Unknown includes the Enemy Within expansion content. It plays surprisingly well on a handheld.
- Full turn based tactical strategy experience from PC/console.
- Manage your XCOM headquarters between missions.
- Research new weapons and technology.
- Customize your squad’s loadouts.
- Local multiplayer versus mode.
XCOM shows the PSP was capable of delivering a deep, content rich strategy experience. This challenging alien defense game is very playable on Android via PPSSPP.
From the creators of Yggdra Union and Riviera, this PSP exclusive is a high fantasy strategy RPG with distinct sprite based graphics. It focuses on key strategic decisions during battle.
What makes it interesting:
- Unique hex based isometric battle system.
- Dark fantasy setting with Norse mythology inspiration.
- Detailed 2D sprite graphics.
- Streamlined combat keeps focus on crucial strategy decisions.
- Excellent score by famed composer Yoko Shimomura.
Gungnir is an underappreciated PSP gem with challenging strategic gameplay and great music. It’s worth checking out in PPSSPP.
This entry offers a more hardcore wargame experience. You control either Axis or Allied forces in key WWII battles using turn based strategy across hex board game-style maps.
- 20 campaign battles set at crucial points in WWII history.
- Detailed hex maps with terrain and cover to leverage.
- Command infantry, armor, air, and ships.
- Challenging enemy AI provides a stiff challenge.
- Local asynchronous multiplayer with hotseat option.
Field Commander gives strategy fans a compelling real time tactical wargame that provides a lot of replay value as you refine your strategies.
Shining Force Feather
Shining Force Feather is a unique SRPG that blends together the tactical battles the series is known for with aerial combat featuring giant flying battleships.
Why it’s interesting:
- Tactical turn based battles on floating islands.
- Unique blend of fantasy and steampunk elements.
- Build up your forces and lead pitched battles.
- Fly around the world map in your airship.
- Excellent anime style visuals.
This creative spin on the Shining Force formula resulted in one of the most interesting PSP exclusives. It still delivers engrossing gameplay today emulated in PPSSPP.
The PSP was a surprisingly great platform for engrossing strategy RPGs and war games. As we’ve seen, franchises like XCOM and Final Fantasy Tactics got excellent portable versions. There are also impressive exclusives like Tactics Ogre, Jeanne d’Arc, and Valkyria Chronicles 2.
These games run beautifully on today’s Android phones and tablets using the PPSSPP emulator. The higher resolution display allows you to see more of the battlefield and UI details. If you love strategy games, the PSP’s catalogue is deep with must play gems. With PPSSPP, you can now play them smoothly on the go.